Ledbury is a market town in Herefordshire, dating back to the 11th century. Owing to its convenient position en route between Hereford, Worcester and Gloucester and its large Norman Church, it experienced major growth during the medieval times. The town has many examples of Tudor architecture, including the famous Market House and The Feathers Hotel.
Originally known as ‘The Plume of Feathers’, the present building dates back to at least 1564. However, it is believed that the Booth Hall – the meeting place of the borough court, stood on the site where The Feathers now rests. This would mean that people were meeting here from as early as the 13th century.
The original Feathers was small in comparison to what it is today. The first building consisted of the present day reception area and hall-way stretching back just as far as where our new bar starts. The three bay windows, with differing architecture, still survive today from that original building, yet it was not until around 1603 that the third floor was added.
The Feathers has acted as an Excise Office, a Corn Exchange and Assembly Rooms and in the 19th century for the Gentlemen of Ledbury to play snooker. During the late 18th century the building was clad to remove all signs of its black & white exterior which was considered unfashionable. The cladding was removed in the early 20th century.
The greatest development in the history of the hotel occurred in 1970, when it was purchased by David Elliston, who’s son now manages the hotel. The old stables were turned into squash courts which, in turn, were replaced in 1997 by the leisure spa and conference rooms. The now popular, Fuggles Brasserie was built at the back of the hotel.
In 2017, the hotel was acquired by the Lincolnshire based, Coaching Inn Group, joining the family run group, as the 14th property within the portfolio, with David’s son, Edward, retaining management.